Are you outgoing and customer-focused? Do you enjoy working with the public? If you answered yes to these questions, working for a State Farm independent contractor agent may be the career for you! State Farm agents are entrepreneurs that market only State Farm insurance and financial service products.
This position is with a State Farm independent contractor agent, not with State Farm Insurance Companies. Employees of State Farm agents must be able to successfully complete any applicable licensing requirements and training programs.
Desired qualities include:
- Interest in marketing products and services based on customer needs
- Speaking. Talking to policyholders to convey information and ideas effectively.
- Active Listening. Giving full attention to what other people are saying and taking time to understand the points being made.
- Independence. Working with little supervision and depending on oneself to get things done
- Cooperation. Working co-operatively in a team environment
- Attention to Detail. Paying close attention to details and thorough in completing tasks
- Concern for Others. Being sensitive to others’ feelings and being helpful
- Multitasking. The ability to work on multiple tasks simultaneously
- Service Orientation. Actively looking for ways to help people and consistently exceed customer expectations.
- Time Management. Managing one’s own time and the time of others effectively.
- Stress Tolerance. Accepting criticism, maintaining composure and dealing calmly with high-stress situations.
- Self-motivation. Take pride in getting work done accurately and timely.
Job Related Training Courses, Licensing and Programs:
Successful completion of all company, state and federal requirements (licenses) to market and service designated State Farm products is required to be completed within a time and manner agreed upon by the agent and team member. Reimbursement for related expenses is available.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepare forms, policies and endorsements when required.
- Provide service to the public and policyholders in a pleasant and courteous manner.
- As directed by the agent, work with agent’s computer system to update information in customer databases used by the agent.
- Contact prospects and current policyholders for sales appointments.
- Meet customer service goals and assist with marketing goals as directed by the agent.
- Implement the agency’s marketing/sales plan and direct mail campaigns at direction of the agent.
- Conduct needs based sales interviews in the agent’s office supported by technology (including Insurance and Financial Reviews).
- Courses on ethical and client centered sales practices will be required.
- Develop leads, schedule appointments, identify customer needs, and market appropriate products and services.
- Establish customer relationships and follow up with customers, as needed.
- Provide prompt, accurate, and friendly customer service. Service can include responding to inquiries regarding insurance availability, eligibility, coverages, policy changes, transfers, claim submissions, and billing clarification.
- Work with the agent to establish and meet marketing goals.
- Use a customer-focused, needs-based review process to educate customers about insurance options.
- Maintain a strong work ethic with a total commitment to success each and every day.
- Perform any and all other duties as assigned by the agent.
Top 10 Tasks:
- Calculate premiums, applicable discounts and other payments for products and services
- Pivot customers to another product line on the phone or in person
- Prepare forms, applications, agreements and other paperwork to complete sales-related efforts and ensure policy requirements are fulfilled
- Explain payment method options to customers
- Submit forms to underwriter to obtain coverage
- Engage customers in small talk to build rapport
- Explain features, benefits and drawbacks of specific insurance and/or financial products
- Attend agent team member training sessions, seminars and other programs to learn about new products and services and to acquire new skills
- Assist agent in preparing for community marketing events
- Respond to e-mail directions in handling policy changes and updating customer/household information